November 30, 2009

Family Traditions

I love the holidays and have tried really hard to create some great holiday traditions. Not just traditions for "traditions sake" but traditions that help my children really understand the meaning of the holiday. Here is one we began last year for Thanksgiving that leads us into Christmas.
You can take a can, box or anything, for that matter, that will hold strips of construction paper. We chose a large coffee can and it has worked great!


I then explained to the children that we were creating a "Thankfulness Can" that would hold strips of construction paper filled with thankfulness strips. I wrote on the can "Thankfulness Can" and let the kids do the rest. We did this last year as well, but this year I striped it down and let them decorate it again.



Molly loved using all sorts of art stuff to decorate this can and it made it very meaningful for her.



Proud of her creation!

I then cut up strips of construction paper to lay beside the can. When anyone in our family thinks of something they are thankful for ...they simply write it on a strip and put it in the can. JB and I and the kids really get into this and love coming up with new things we are thankful for and it helps us to focus on what we have instead of what we want. M and W write their own and I transcribe it for them.
We continue to add our thankfulness strips to the can until close to Thanksgiving when we decide to put up our Christmas tree. I sometimes cook a nice dinner (but it has been a busy year and this year we ordered pizza). We then have dinner as a family and take out each strip and read it together. After each strip is read we make a chain out of all of the strips. It then serves as the garland for our Christmas tree. It is so fun to look at our tree all throughout December and see all of the precious people and things that the Lord has blessed our family with. Here is a pic of the tree below as we were decorating it.

I would love to hear some great traditions that you have....Feel free to leave them here!
Good night all,
In Christ Alone,
Missy



Posted by Picasa

No comments: