June 09, 2009

Thankfulness....

Let me be honest and say that today has been a difficult day...Why? I have no idea. My hormones have been in full bloom and I have shed tears today. Thankfully the Lord knew in His Sovereignty that today would be difficult and he sent many of my friends here to visit with me today! Two wonderful friends this morning with Starbucks in hand...then my sis... and and three more visits this evening.
I thought I would take a day that has been difficult and just be thankful to the Lord. I have shared some pictures below of one of our Thanksgiving traditions that I haven't shared before. We take an ordinary coffee can, decorate it and call it our Thankfulness Can. I usually plan this activity around the first of November. We also cut strips of construction paper that lay beside the decorated can in a conspicuous place in the house. Everyday and sometimes multiple times a day anyone in the family can write something that they are thankful for on the strips of paper and place them in the can. During our Thanksgiving dinner we pull the strips out one by one and read the things we are thankful for and pray thanking God for his goodness over the past year. We then take the strips, make them into a chain and decorate our Christmas tree with our Thankfulness chain. I didn't show a picture of that and will have to see if I can find one to share. This is a wonderful tradition that I found while trying to keep our holiday's Jesus focused. So, I will just choose to praise the Lord today for His good and perfect gifts that are from above!
Blessings,
Missy







3 comments:

Tana Bagby said...

Wow, what a neat tradition. Our lesson in our Sunday School class (Mom to Mom) last week was about traditions in your family to create memories and keeping them focused on Christ. That is a wonderful idea! We hope God continues to provide strenght to you, Jim Bob, Molly and Will, and baby Hannah, too! We are praying for you all each day!
Tana Bagby

Mindy said...

I'm sorry you had a bad day but very thankful that God sent visitors your way. Never forget that we love you all, we're praying for you many times a day and eventhough we may not be right there with you, you are never far from our thoughts. I hope those hormones are more balanced today and you have an awesome day!

Much love,
The Burts

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that you had a bad day. I pray that today is better and that the time passes quickly. I have July 1 marked on my calendar. For a smile today just think of our trip to the mountains a few years ago. That has to put a smile on your face. Okay, I am laughing and everyone here is wondering what is wrong with me.
Have an awesome rest of the day!
Love,
Carol